Monday, August 19, 2013

Fun with Cement

Last year I started making cement leaf castings for the garden. When they are done and cured I paint them with acrylics, some in whimsical colors, some realistically.  I finished painting this Alocasia portodora a few weeks ago to put in the garden for the Open Days tour in July.  I had a great time painting this leaf but it took about forty hours of work so I'm not planning on going into production any time soon, lol.



Another leaf I painted last year was cast from my Hydrangea 'Little Honey'.  To paint the butterfly, I filled in the grooves on the leaf with cement crack filler to smooth it out. I used a photograph I took last fall of a Painted Lady Butterfly for reference.  The great thing about painting realistic leaves is the actual veining in the casting provides the patterning for the highlighting, shading and detailing.  This was a fun one to do and easier to handle than the huge Portodora leaf. 

My next project will be painting  a good casting of a Hosta 'Sum and Substance' I did last fall.  I want to paint it with the colors and patterning of  Hosta 'Great Expectations'.  That will be a fall project when the gardens have wound down for the season.  My leaf casting buddy, Jodi and I also want to do some castings of caladium leaves and have those in the wings to paint over the winter. I'm having way too much fun!!!

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful Work Deanne. I love the detail and execution. You have an amazing gift. Keep it up!!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the water droplets and the realistic brown spots Deanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, the casting had some voids in it that I thought were perfect to use for bug holes.

      Delete
  3. Oh My Goodness, Deanne. Those are beautiful. The one with the butterfly is so realistic, and the colors on the Alocasia just pop with that Hakone grass in front. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison, It took me a while to decide where to put it but I liked it nestled amongst the Hakone grass.

      Delete
  4. Incredible work, Deanne! I've never seen leaf castings painted so beautifully! You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Deanne, incredible work and detail there, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic Deanne, and they work so well in the garden, the butterfly is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really amazing, Deanne, I've actually never seen anything like this before. You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Those are gorgeous! If I hadn't read first I would have thought that was a real butterfly! You are so talented, Deanne!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deanne, Those are stunning, the most beautiful that I've seen!!! You are so talented! I took a class last autumn on leaf casting. Have 2 ready to paint but I'm afraid of messing up. Do you have any tips you can share with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle, thanks for the comment! I appreciate it. I use DecoArt Americana acrylic paint. Also I use a real leaf as a reference when I paint them. I match the color to the actual leaf and work from there. Cheers!

      Delete
  10. Thank you, Deanne! I'm inspired to try now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait just a second! I'm reading along looking at the pictures and at about the same time my brain thinks "how sweet a butterfly landed on the leaf while she was photographing it" I read "To paint the butterfly"...what! That is amazing and beautiful. You are talented and patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Loree! Glad you like it. I was asked if I had glued a butterfly on the leaf by a visitor during our garden tour. LOL

      Delete
  12. Gosh, you are very clever. I was thinking "primitive" but what I see is "hyperrealistic." That butterfly is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soon I will have my very own photos of these wonderful pieces. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many thanks to one and all for all the kind comments, I appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful collection of plants. nice to meet a person who also likes flowers. Greetings from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just thinking of making some castings. How about a painting lesson? Your butterfly is eternally beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wait a minute...that's a painted butterfly? Stunning work. What a wonderful introduction to your blog. Have already subscribed. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Deanne, Another question for you if you don't mind......What type of concrete mix do you use? I've heard that the Quikrete Vinyl Concrete Patcher is good. What do you recommend? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are absolutely lovely. Until I looked at the pictures closely, I did not understand what you were talking about. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you very much for the post. It was very interesting. Please keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete