Thursday, August 29, 2013

My Favorite Plant in the Garden this Week

Better late then never I say, so without any further ado or fanfare I'd like to introduce everyone to my Brugmansia suaveolens. I've had this plant for at least six years or so and it might even be longer than that.  It came as a cutting from my friend Sue at Idyll Haven.  This is the most floriferous of the several cultivars of brugmansia I grow. I counted the blossoms this morning and this plant currently has 195 flowers on it. Woohoo!  It's the first to set blossoms and typically will produce one to two hundred flowers on its second flush of blooms.  So as it is in its glory right now it is my current favorite. Wish I could bottle up that fragrance.

You can view Loree's favorite plant this week and link to other gardeners' favorites at Loree's Danger Garden blog.






12 comments:

  1. 195 flowers and a frog? You are living the good life Deanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible the number of flowers on your brugmansia! Do you feed and water it nearly constantly to keep it in a small pot? I love the fragrance of these blooms and your frog is extremely cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, yes I water it twice a day and feed with liquid feed once a week. It also gets a couple handfuls of Osmocote once a month or so. They really are such heavy feeder and as you said it's in a very small pot for the size of the plant.

      Delete
  3. Why doesn't mine look that good? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmm.... I don't work full time so I have the time to cosset this plant. It actually looked pretty disreputable a few weeks ago and I gave it several good feedings which perked it up

      Delete
  4. Well, as usual, I'm just blown away! And how did you get that little frog to show up in time for the picture? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Peggy, thanks, it really is a beauty. The tree frogs are everywhere right now

      Delete
  5. Your Brugsmansia certainly looks like it has that many flowers, amazing for a potted plant. I have never smelt the fragrance of this plant before. Gorgeous tree frog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 195 Flowers! That's amazing. I need to remember to feed my Brugs more. They really do respond so well to it. I gave them some fish emulsion a couple of weeks ago, and boy did they like it. Yours is just beautiful, and that many flowers must fill your garden with fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanne, it's a gorgeous flowering chandelier! I love it and the tree frog. Seriously cute.

    ReplyDelete